Saturday, April 02, 2005

Surprise Progress...

Not to much to report...I have been relaxing this week working
on homework and reading some books.

I did do some beading though. Here is an update on the surprise
gift for someone.

It is not as wonky as it is in the picture. When I attach the back it will straighten it out. It is warped a bit I admit but that is from doing the beading. This is a flat peyote rather than a circular.


This is not such a great pic, my digital does not do close ups of detail well. But on the left are Delicas and on the right Japanese seed beads. Seeds are more rounded than Delicas, while Delicas tend to lock into each other better than seed beads.

Japanese Seed beads differ from their Czech counterparts in that they are a bit larger and more uniform. They also have larger holes, for knitters means a thicker than Perle Cotton #8 could go through them. To beaders, it means more passes of a needle and thread.

I am thinking about writing a book about Knitting with Beads, I have looked at the ones on the market and truthfully I am not to impressed. They don't really talk about beads and how to select them. Beaders know about surface finishes, durability, etc. that I think knitters need to know.

Thus ends our beading lesson for today.

1 comment:

Cathi said...

Oh my gosh, Kam, those are so beautiful! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I really think you should write a book, I would be first in line to buy it. I mean to ask you, do you have the Japanese book Beads Knitting?